Welcome Yorkie lovers

As a Yorkie owner, Yorkie sitter and organizer of a Yorkie play group I'm often asked for tips and advice on Yorkie training and behavior - Is it possible to housebreak a Yorkie? Why does my Yorkie go nuts in the car? What do you do about a Yorkie Boy peeing on his long fur? How do I get my Yorkie to wear those cute little booties (you don't, in my opinion)?

Yorkshire Terriers are energetic, active, intelligent, beautiful, fun and lovable dogs. If you let them, they can be demanding, bossy, barky, "marky" and totally overwhelm and rule your life.

In this blog I'll talk about my experiences with my two rambunctious balls of fur named Sampson and Daisy and show some of the things that make our life better - and maybe your's too.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

When you're down and out, Man's Best Friend is the best. Just ask Mickey Rourke

As we dog lovers can attest, when you're really down, there's no better friend that your best friend - your dog. At the 2009 Golden Globe Awards held January 11 in Beverly Hills, Mickey Rourke included his dogs in his Best Actor Award acceptance speech, for his lead role in the movie, The Wrestler.

In what is surely a first for the award show, after thanking his agent, director, producers and co-stars, Rourke then said he'd like to thank his dogs, the ones that are still with him now, and those that had passed on.

"Sometimes when a man's alone, all you got is your dog and they meant the world to me."

It's not entirely clear what Rourke's problems have been during his 15 year hiatus from films, but it was certainly a dark period for him of depression, poverty and humiliation. He found solace rescuing Chihuahuas and states that one, named Beau Jack, is probably responsible for him still being here.

"He looked at me and it meant who's going to take care of him, if I'm not here." Rourke stated in an interview with Carole Cadwalladr with The Observer in 2008.

In 2007, activists joined Rourke to protest a South Florida pet store, claiming it sold him a puppy with Parvo, that he'd bought for a friend. He's been seen often at events with his Chihuahua companions at his side - Beau Jack, now deceased and Beau Jack's offspring, Loki, now 16 years old.

"She’s like a giant Xanax, you know? I’m not going to get religious on your ass, but I truly believe God created dogs for a cause. They are the greatest companions a man could ever have."

I understand completely. Getting my first Yorkie lifted my mood from years of mild depression and it never came back. It was like a switch going off in my brain. I don't know if it was having someone to take care of, his pheromones affecting me, or just that he's so dang cute, fun and makes me smile all the time.

When I think celebrities with Chihuahuas, Mickey Rourke is not what comes to mind. Congratulations Mickey on your comeback and your greatest win - the love of your little companions.

No comments: